Today, am out to show you some of the tested and proven ways that will move you from your couch(no offense) to the mailbox and finally to the bank! Is it that easy? Not really. After all, if it was that simple, everyone would have done it right? The good news is that you can do it today or tomorrow or well, never! Let us get started. What if you made some money from books?
It is not surprising to know that many people would rather take the easy routes when it comes to making mmmm money! Ever heard of the saying ‘Too good to be true’? You probably have, but if not, then you now know it. There are thousands of ways you could use to make a living but tonight, I will spare myself some time by talking about what I have done and worked for me. So, let us see how you could write your first book, publish and cash some royalty checks in a few months.
- First, if you believe that everybody has a story to tell, then you probably have one yourself. If you don’t belong to that community of story tellers, well, this might not be for you after all. No offense! Now, the biggest question is this: how do you start writing a book in the first place? The answer could be found in thousands of books on how to write or simply deciding to start working on your manuscript after you finish reading this post. Here is my advice: stop postponing things and start writing a rough draft of your future bestseller. If you need help on doing that, let me know through the comments.
- At first I was a little surprised by the fact that some people do not have word processors in their home computers. I am not surprised anymore because I have come to know that not all people can afford the software or are tech savvy enough to learn of the vast number of free equally – capable tools online. Don’t sweat it further if you are that person because I got your back. If you do not have Microsoft Word, smile and when you are done reading this post, zoom back here and check these great links out:
- Free Google Docs – This is one of the many things Google provides users for Free(well, to an extent). Here, after you create a free account, you can create basically any type of document you want and save it to the cloud and later access it from virtually anywhere through an internet connection. You are assured of security here, so, go for it if you need it.
- Microsoft SkyDrive – This is another Free tool offered by Microsoft (this is so cool because if you cannot afford Microsoft Office programs, all you need is a free account here and you are good to go). Your documents will be available to you from anywhere. All you will need is an internet connection. You don’t even need a flash drive.
- OpenOffice Word Editor – This is the best rival to Microsoft Office. The good part is this: It is free of charge. There are really great guys out there working so hard to bring you the best tools for the price of zero dollars. That is one of the ways we could all make this world a better place, don’t you think? Anyway, those are the few I could think of. If you have more, why not share through the comments section? Thank you. Now, back to the tips.
- Thirdly, let us assume you have written your draft and you want to know your next step. One thing that readers hate is unedited work. I mainly think of it this way: if you do not like poor grammar, then no one else does. So, edit your book as many times as possible. You are trying to convince a stranger to spend some money and if you understand marketing, you know what am talking about. This is not rocket science. You can choose to hire a professional editor or get some of your cool friends and relatives(Warning: you might be disappointed by their criticisms and you risk losing them). Do everything you need to make your work smooth and easily readable. How much should you spend preparing your book for publishing? That is a big question. My answer is simple: Do not borrow a thousand dollar loan for it. Find people who can edit your book for the least possible. Watch out for scam artists out there who might charge you thousands of dollars for what your sister or co-worker could do for a thank you!
- Your book, hopefully is now near ready for publishing. Where do I go from here? Well, you can choose to go the traditional route (also known as sending your manuscript to sometimes mean agents) or self-publishing (otherwise known as do – it – yourself but so cheap and 75% royalties). At the moment, I am going to focus on self-publishing on Amazon Kindle Store. The good thing about it is this: millions of people own kindle tablets and publishing is FREE. You earn royalties at rates you will never believe and your books are accessible to ….well, everyone with a Kindle all over the world?? At least that is what I know from my experience.
- Is your book ready for publishing? If you answered yes, then visit the Kindle Direct Publishing site and start making some serious money pal. You basically have everything you need at this point to turn your dream into a reality. I did it by getting off the couch and writing(pen and paper) a chapter each night, editing several times and finally publishing My Life Sentences – A True Story and Across The River both of which are available now on Amazon. Good luck.
My final word is this: Nothing is easy in this world. The only way to draw a thick line between you and someone who says nothing can be done or you cannot be an author is by actually writing. Start tonight or after you finish your dinner or even after shower. Talking about showers, ideas normally trickle down my brain when am in the shower. Crazy. Anyway, I want to read your book in the future. Share a link here and if you have questions, ask me. What and why are you waiting for? See you soon and good luck!
Have a beautiful day everyone!
NB: If you happen to be the 7,000th visitor, contact me for a gift! Look to your right for the numbers!